Lot 1 General Sale 22nd August A blue 2014 Nissan Micra Visia, 5 door hatchback, 1200cc, one owner, 19406 miles, MOT until September 2018 (Please note there is no outstanding finance on this car) Estimate £2,000 - £3,000
A Royal Worcester vase by Harry Stinton decorated with Highland cattle, numbered G1061, 13.5cm high
Estimate £100 - £150
Renowned for their famous Highland Cattle and Gamebird scenes, the Stinton family are probably the best known of all Royal Worcester artists, with members of the family painting at the various Worcester factories for almost one hundred and sixty years. Undoubtedly the better known are Harry Stinton, James Stinton and Harry's father John Stinton. The family had many more relatives who also participated and inspired the art and designs for Worcester.
Founded in 1751, Royal Worcester is among the most popular English porcelain factories favoured by collectors.
1751-76 Was the First Period of Worcester and is occasionally referred to as the Dr. Wall period after John Wall. John Wall was one of the founders and a major shareholder. The formula for soft paste porcelain was the formula for choice during this period, which was obtained when they took over Lund's Bristol Porcelain works in 1752. The need for hand painting was reduced in 1757 when Worcester introduced the use of transfer printing on porcelain, reducing the time and expense of production. Thomas Flight purchased the company in 1783 for his sons Joseph and John, starting changes in both the paste and style of decoration. A much whiter body started to be produced and the style became more neoclassical. Martin Barr became a partner in the company in 1793 and then in 1840 Worcester amalgamated with Chamberlains’. Chamberlains were also located at the Worcester site, but still produced works from both. In 1847 Worcester relocated its operations into the Chamberlain’s factory and became known as Chamberlain’s Worcester. This was later changed to Kerr & Binns in 1852 when W.H. Kerr joined the firm. Being renamed again in 1862 to the Royal Worcester Porcelain Company, and more everyday works were produced. The company then merged with Spode in 1976 and reduced its staff from 2003 to 2005, eventually going into administration in 2008 and then ceasing trading in 2009. The trading name and brands (including Spode), but not the factories in Stoke-on-Trent, were acquired by Portmeirion Pottery Group.
A Morris Ware S. Hancock and Sons jardinière by George Cartlidge with tube lined flora, printed marks, model number C50-11M
Estimate £100 - £150
Founded by Sampson Hancock, a prominent Wesleyan, in 1857 the company was renamed S. Hancock & Sons (Potters) Ltd in 1935. Dying on 9th May 1900, Sampson Hancock was succeeded in the business by his sons, Jabez, Harry and Arthur. Producing tablewares and fancies for the popular market the company’s main income was generated from semi-porcelain and earthenware tablewares, much of which were for export markets. After the first World War the company increased its production of ornamental and decorative ware, including dolls heads and in 1917 boxed tea sets for children, featuring popular nursery rhymes. Also producing a range of crested wares, the company marked these with the trade name the 'Duchess' china or the 'Corona' china and Grosvenor Ware. These pieces included animals, small decorative dishes and Great War commemoratives, or had English or Welsh crests. Crested ware appears to have been made until the 1920s. The Morris Ware was one of the main decorative ranges produced by the company. This included many tube-lined patterns. The first designer of this type of ware was George Cartlidge, and this continued with other designers.
A selection of earthen and stoneware Ginger Beer bottles, from a range of distributors, including North Eastern England. Antique and Interiors Sale on Wednesday 8th August
After brewing, ginger beer was corked inside stoneware bottles. The earlier stoneware bottles and those brewed locally in North America were brown in colour, etched with the bottler’s name or city and relatively simple. The 1880's, however, saw the rise of sleeker looking grey/cream bottle that displayed colourful shoulder slips and stamped logos designed to attract consumer attention, thus becoming more popular. The reason for bottling Ginger Beer in stone instead of the more largely used glass bottle was in part to do with the colouring of Ginger Beer, which has an unattractive cloudy appearance. The functionality of packing was also imperative due to the exportation of large amounts of Ginger Beer to the U.S. Ginger Beer was brewed regionally but England remained dominant in the market due to their superior bottling and quality stoneware that maintained the beers effervescence. The bottles were sealed with liquid- and gas-tight Bristol Glaze and wired and corked shut to maintain carbon dioxide in the solution.
A blue 2014 Nissan Micra Visia, 5 door hatchback, 1200cc, 19406 miles, MOT until September 2018 offered for auction in our Antique and Interior Sale on Wednesday 8th August.
Dubbed the new face of Nissan Micra by Nissan. The 2014 Nissan Micra is an updated version of the 2013 model, with a new look and new technology the Micra offers plenty of budget supermini competition. Visually the updated model includes, new bumpers, front wings, headlights and a new grill. This new update creates a more stylish and masculine look to the original model. With new alloy wheels and Pacific Blue paint helping to brighten up the vehicle. The interiors face lift has a gloss black centre console and can be fitted with an optional 5.8-inch touchscreen for the optional Nissan Connect sat-nav.
This fantastic, rare, antique Danish Hand Crank Telephone will be offered for auction in our Antique and Interior Sale on Wednesday 8th August.
The table top phone has the Fleur De Lis (translated as ‘lily flower’) beautifully carved around the top plate and the plaque on top reads "SPØRG, OM DER TALES, FORINDEN OPRINGNING SKER" (translated ‘Ask, if someone is speaking, before calling’). On the bottom it reads "KJØBENHAVNS TELEFON AKTIESELSKAB" which symbolises the "Copenhagen Telephone Company" (KTAS, now Tele Denmark), the phone circa 1920-1930s is in excellent condition and working order.
Many early manual telephones had an attached hand-cranked magneto that produced an alternating current (AC) at 50-100V for signalling to ring the bells of other telephones on the same line and to alert an operator at the local telephone exchange. These were most common on long rural lines served by small manual exchanges which did not use a common battery circuit. The telephone instrument contained a local battery, consisting of two large "N° 6" zinc-carbon dry cells, to provide the necessary current for the transmitter. By around 1900, large racks of motor-generator set in the telephone exchange could supply this ringing current remotely instead and the local magneto was often no longer required, but their use continued into the mid-20th century. Telephone magnetos featured a large gear rotated by hand with a handle, that drove a much smaller gear on the armature rotor, providing a high gear-ratio to increase the rotational speed of the magneto armature. A mechanical switch on the output terminals engaged only when the rotor was turning, so that the magneto was normally disconnected from the telephone circuitry.
A beautiful vintage Russian submarine clock manufactured and installed in submarines and military vessels in the USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) in the 1980s. This is a beautifully designed, iconic timepiece that is rapidly becoming a rare find. The Vostok’s submarine-at-sea emblem sits centrally on the clock face with the word ‘kauahqupckue’ underneath it. At the bottom of the clock there is an anchor which replaces the number 6 o’clock mark, with the red Soviet star sitting perfectly at the 12 o’clock mark. The word сделано в and letters CCCP are marked either side of the anchor, translating to made in USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) before 1991. The Curling B symbol that sits beneath the spindle is the translation of a Russian V, standing for Vostok and is Vostok’s trademark.
The clock which would have been painted aboard a military vessel, is finished in a calming cool grey and can be wound using its original key,. The key can be inserted just above the anchor icon. The clock can be opened using a second key, in the hole that sits alongside the number 3 o’clock mark. The clock has a 12-jewel movement and runs for seven days on a full wind.
This iconic rare time piece will be offered for auction in our Antique and Interiors Sale on Wednesday 8th August